This morning I said goodbye to my almost adults on their first day of school. I didn’t make any lunches, tie any shoes, pack any snacks, label any supplies or dry any tears. I didn’t pick out an outfit, fill out any forms or fix anyone’s hair. Continue reading
It can be an exciting(and stressful) time in our lives, sending our eldest off to a new school to embark on the next level of their educational careers.
That was me three years ago (and two years ago, and last year). I now have three at Sandburg, each having a unique high school experience. My once newbie freshman is about to enter his senior year and I can assure you, all is well.
After a few (or ten) recent panicky phone calls from friends with incoming freshman, I thought it would be nice to share my, ala David Letterman,
Top 10 things you need to know for Parents of Sandburg Freshmen:
Posted in Everything else, Family, Kids, Life, Parenting, school, Uncategorized
Tagged Freshman, Moms, News, Orland Park, sandburg, tips, top 10
I get many really good reader questions, mostly regarding being a mom and living in Orland Park (go figure) and most of the time I can answer them on my own, and do.
This one, however, required a professional opinion. I thought I would share….
Of course I knew this day would come. I dreaded it and embraced its possibilities all at the same time.
As I reluctantly dropped my son off at his first day of driving school, prayed that he would pay attention, absorb all of the important info that would help him become a safe driver one day. Continue reading
Posted in Everything else, Family, Kids, Life, Parenting
Tagged acceptance of teen driver, car, Drivers Ed, driving school, kids, letting go, Moms, teen drivers
Looking for a pumpkin patch in the area but not sure where to start? Are the kids hoping to score that perfect pumpkin? You are in luck, because over at toddlingaroundchicagoland.com is a complete list of patches, hours, amenities and prices to help you on your way.
Be sure to call to verify information posted before venturing out to be sure of hours and events.
For a list that encompasses a larger area, visit pumpkinpatchesandmore.com and choose your region. Here is their Chicagoland list.
Good luck and happy pumpkin picking!
Posted in Family, Kids, Life, Local Businesses, Parenting
Tagged chicago pumpkin patches, corn mazes, hayrides, illinois, list of pumpkin patches, orland park pumpkins, pumpkin patch, pumpkins chicago
I, for one, cannot be more excited about the plans to bring University of Chicago quality medical care to Orland Park. I have, for years, traveled to the UC hospital in Hyde Park and various outpatient centers in other suburbs for specialty care for myself and my children. Should any member of my family need top-notch specialty outpatient care, it is nice to know we won’t have to travel far for another option!
Here is the Chicago Tribune article with the latest developments.
I know I am supposed to smile appreciatively as I receive all of the “Happy Mother’s Day!” greetings this weekend, and I do. Don’t get me wrong, I love being a Mommy and nothing in the world means more to me than being a Mom to my kids. This time of year is always bittersweet for me because it makes me miss my own Mom. I start to think of how my life and the lives of my children would be if she were still here. Continue reading
Posted in Everything else, Family, Parenting, Uncategorized
Tagged children, kids, life, missing, Mom, mommies, mommy, Mother's day, mothers, sad
I am embarrassed to admit how many shamrock shakes I consume during this time of year. I can’t help it, I love the things and nothing hits the spot after a busy day like a trip through the drive thru and being handed a frosty cup of green goodness.
Here’s the problem, they are not ALWAYS available. That is why I have learned how to create my own at home. They are really simple to make and you can adjust the ingredients for those who do not like too much of the minty flavor in their shake.
So here you go…my homemade shamrock shake recipe: (this recipe makes 2 shakes)
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream (any kind will do, I buy what is on sale)
- 1 1/2 cups milk ( I use 2% but whole and skim are fine as well)
- mint extract (I use about half a teaspoon but find your desired amount by starting out with a little and taste testing as you go)
- Green food coloring, about 6-7 drops
- Whipped cream and colored sprinkles (optional)
Combine the first four ingredients in your blender until smooth and incorporated. Pour into 2 glasses, top with whipped cream and sprinkles and enjoy!
Halloween is almost here! Costumes are ready and local kids are super excited about the possibility of bags full of candy.
Trick or Treating hours in the village are listed as 2pm through 7pm this year.
Here are some tips to consider when heading out the door with your little ghouls and goblins:
- Stay on the sidewalk as much as possible to avoid traffic when possible.
- While trick or treating in the dark, wear bright and/or reflective clothing to make sure drivers can see you.
- Hike up or shorten long costumes to avoid tripping and accidents.
- Be sure that holes in masks and costumes are large enough to enable full peripheral vision for crossing streets and safe navigation.
- Take a flashlight with you for those dark streets.
- Check all candy for possible tampering and throw away all unwrapped items.
- Leave some for the other kids! I’ve witnessed, on many occasions, kids taking advantage of the bowls of candy left out by fellow trick or treating families with the intention of each child taking one or a few pieces. Please make sure your child is fair and leaves candy for the trick or treaters that are to follow.
- Young children should always be accompanied by a responsible adult, but when older kids are out and about on their own, make sure they are in a group and know not to go into strangers’ homes or get into cars of strangers.
- Make sure your older child is carrying a cell phone for ease of check-in if needed.
Most importantly, have a good time! Halloween is a fun time for kids and a great opportunity to build boootiful family memories!