My favorite thing about St. Patrick’s Day? The South Side Irish St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Western Avenue. Coming in as a close second…. Shamrock shakes.
I am embarrassed to admit how many shamrock shakes I consume during this time of year. I can’t help it, I love the things and nothing hits the spot after a busy day like a trip through the drive thru and being handed a frosty cup of green goodness.
Here’s the problem, they are not ALWAYS available. That is why I have learned how to create my own at home. They are really simple to make and you can adjust the ingredients for those who do not like too much of the minty flavor in their shake.
So here you go…my homemade shamrock shake recipe: (this recipe makes 2 shakes)
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream (any kind will do, I buy what is on sale)
- 1 1/2 cups milk ( I use 2% but whole and skim are fine as well)
- mint extract (I use about half a teaspoon but find your desired amount by starting out with a little and taste testing as you go)
- Green food coloring, about 6-7 drops
- Whipped cream and colored sprinkles (optional)
Combine the first four ingredients in your blender until smooth and incorporated. Pour into 2 glasses, top with whipped cream and sprinkles and enjoy!
Then go and check out the parade tomorrow, it is always a lot of fun!